Buckwheat Vegan Carbonara
Yasmin Sara Nutrition and I asked you for your favourite indulgent meals. We decided to recreate the traditional creamy carbonara recipe. For many people this is your go to all time comfort meal. With this recipe you can still enjoy the indulgent and comforting aspects of this dish in a healthier way.
Recipe: serves 2
1/2 cup soaked cashews
1/2 cup soaked sliced blanched almonds
1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
1 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp minced garlic
1 tbsp tamari
2 tbsp nutritional yeast
1 tbsp lemon juice
Water for consistency
A handful of wild dried mushrooms
3 tbsp pine nuts
2 portions of buckwheat noodles
Parsley for topping
1. Soak the cashews and almonds for 4-6 hours and drain before blending.
2. Place the cashews, almonds, almond milk, onion powder, garlic, pepper, tamari, nutritional yeast and lemon juice into the food processor and blitz until well combined.
3. Place the mushrooms into water to re-hydrate whilst cooking the noodles.
4. Cook the noodles as per the cooking instructions.
5. Place the pine nuts into a dry pan over a medium heat and stir until toasted (watch as they brun quickly).
6. Strain the noodles and stir the sauce through, adding the pine nuts and mushrooms.
7. Serve up and top with parsley.