There's certainly no confusion over whether these are biscuits, cakes or pancakes. They're 100% pancakes, the idea of these are to show you that healthier alternative pancakes don't have to be just eggs and banana. For the special occasions (of which pancake day is definitely one) these Jaffa Cake pancakes provide you with the opportunity to indulge and impress! They do contain natural sugars so be sure not to eat the whole stack! Happy flipping!
For the jam:
Flesh and Zest of 2 oranges
2 tbsp white chia seeds
Juice 1 extra orange
1 1/2 tbsp honey
For the pancakes: (makes 4-5 pancakes)
1/4 cup buchwheat flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tbsp almond butter (the runnier the better)
1 tsp vanilla powder
1 tbsp honey (or more to taste)
coconut oil for cooking
For the chocolate/ carob sauce:
100g raw cacao bar (Ombar are great)
100g carob bar (no added sugar)
100g dark chocolate
1. Place the grated orange zest, the peeled orange flesh, orange juice, chia seeds and honey in a pan. Leave over a low heat for around 30 minutes until a gel like texture has formed. Keep watching to ensure it doesn’t burn.
2. In the mean time, melt the cacao, carob or chocolate over a very low heat ensuring it doesn’t burn.
3. Combine the buckwheat flour, vanilla powder and baking powder in a bowl. In a separate bowl combine the eggs, almond butter and honey.
4. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and ingredients and whisk well.
5. Heat the pan with some coconut oil, once heated drop the mix into the pan and cook for 1-2 minutes on each side, be careful not to burn. Repeat until all the mix is cooked.
6. Remove the jam from the heat and layer up the pancakes with a layer of jam in between each pancake.
7. Finally drizzle the chocolate or carob over the top and enjoy!